Semrush and Google Analytics are two of the most popular web analytics tools for digital marketing experts.
But what exactly is the difference between SEMrush vs Google Analytics? And how do you know which service to use for website analysis to improve your Search Engine Optimization (SEO) for higher rankings and traffic?
In this post, we will look at the difference between Google Analytics and Semrush so that you can understand how these digital marketing tools work. By the end, you’ll know which service to choose for your needs and budget: Semrush or Google Analytics.
Consider this your complete guide on Google Analytics vs Semrush for SEO and Digital Marketing Success.
semrush vs google analytics
The main difference between Semrush and Google Analytics is that Semrush is an external service to study another company’s website whereas Google Analytics is an internal service to study your own website. Semrush combines data from consumers, Google and third parties to provide insights for any given website.
Difference Between SEMrush and Google Analytics Comparison Chart
Here’s a quick overview and side-by-side comparison between SEMrush and Google Analytics. If you’re looking for something more in-depth, keep reading the rest of this guide.
|worth||$119.95/month and up||free|
|purpose||Track and measure SEO, PPC, SMM and PR campaigns||Track website traffic and visitor data|
|real-time traffic reporting||No||Yes|
What is Semrush?
SEMrush is an all-in-one digital marketing tool for improving online visibility for your website and discovering marketing insights for competing websites. Semrush includes software for SEO, PPC, SMM, PR, keyword research, content marketing, campaign management, and competitive research.
You can try SEMrush for free here with my affiliate link to see what it can do for you. I get commission only when you upgrade to paid plan at no extra charge.
What is Google Analytics?
Google Analytics is a web analytics service that helps users identify trends in visitor engagement with their websites. Google Analytics tracks website activity such as session duration, pages per session, bounce rate, acquisition channels, conversions, demographics and visitor technology along with traffic source information.
you can Get started with Google Analytics here, It is free to use for any website.
Now that we know what SEMrush and Google Analytics are, the next section will cover the top advantages and disadvantages of these digital marketing tools.
SEMrush pros and cons
Semrush. professionals of
- All-in-one digital marketing service with over 50 tools.
- Allows you to get SEO, PPC and SMM insights for any website domain.
- A Keyword Lag tool is included to help you find common keywords shared by your competitors and missing opportunities to create new content for your website.
- Includes backlink gap analysis tool to find backlink patterns and gaps between your competitors so that you can try to get the same high quality backlinks for your website.
- SEO Content Template Feature Helps you create content concise quickly which allows writers to produce better-optimized SEO articles.
- The Keyword Magic tool analyzes keyword topics and reports estimated search volume, user intent, keyword difficulty, CPC value, competition level, SERP features, keyword variations, and more. To help you find good terms to target.
- The position tracking tool lets you track daily keyword rankings for the targeted website.
- Social media management tools let you create, launch, manage and optimize ads, schedule posts, track performance, and more.
- Excellent Customer Support.
- Free Semrush Sensor tool for tracking SERP volatility in Google. The individual SEMrush sensor score allows you to calculate volatility for a set of keywords you specify in the position tracking section.
Semrush. Opposition to
- Not free service.
- SEMrush has a minimum price of $119.95 per month for the Pro plan.
- The Trends feature costs an additional $200 per month to give each user access to traffic analytics and market explorer tools to analyze your competitors’ marketing strategies across all major channels.
- Historical data can only be accessed by upgrading to the Guru plan at $229.95 per month.
- Some features are only available as part of projects and Semrush limits the number of projects you can run based on your subscription plan.
- Traffic Insights and Keyword Analysis data for competing websites are not 100% accurate because they are based on estimates using proprietary data collection methods (ie, the data is not taken directly from the domain like it is with Google Analytics).
- Website traffic data is not reported in real-time.
Based on the advantages and disadvantages listed above, if Semrush sounds like an SEO marketing tool you want to use, you can try out Semrush for free with my affiliate link here.
Google Analytics Pros and Cons
Benefits of Google Analytics
- Free to use (Top advantage of Google Analytics vs Semrush).
- Easy to setup for any domain.
- Provides reports for acquisition, engagement, monetization and retention.
- Provides demographic details and technical details for visitors to your website.
- Can be connected to Google Search Console to report keyword data on Google such as organic search queries, impressions, click-through rate and average search position.
- Multiple website properties can be managed under the same account.
- Shows you real-time traffic data.
- Lets you track custom events like downloads, link clicks, form submissions, etc.
- Gives you the ability to track conversions for goals (eg, purchases, downloads and signups).
- The website being tracked is close to being 100% accurate because the data comes directly from Google (see related con below).
Cons of Google Analytics
- Allows insights only for domains you own or have administrative access to.
- Good for tracking and measuring only SEO data. Does not provide any recommendations for improving on-page SEO or off-page SEO strategies for your website.
- Google Universal Analytics will be discontinued in July 2023 and Google Analytics 4 will no longer provide historical data for that service.
- By default the organic keyword does not provide traffic data. You will need to connect Google Search Console to have access to that data in the Dashboard.
- Limited sampling of user data for certain reporting features. This means that only part of the data on your website is analyzed for reporting and then applied to all visitors. For example, the average time on a page does not take into account each visitor, but only a small percentage of users, which means that the data reported is not 100% accurate.
- No customer support.
How does SEMrush Analytics collect data?
According to SemarushoIt collects website analytics data using its own machine learning algorithms and trusted data providers to present the data in its database. The data in the Semrush traffic analytics and market explorer tool comes from a unique panel of over 200 million real Internet users in more than 190 countries and territories.
How does Google Analytics collect data?
Is SEMrush better than Google Analytics?
SEMrush is better than Google Analytics for conducting competitive research and studying your own websites to make better decisions for SEO, PPC, SMM, PR, keyword research, content marketing, link building and campaign management. Google Analytics is only good for tracking and measuring traffic data on your own website.
When choosing between Semrush or Google Analytics, you should consider how much analysis you want to do for your website and its associated marketing campaigns as well as the depth of competitor research you want to do.
If you want an all-in-one tool to track, measure and compare your website content and its marketing campaigns to your competition, SEMrush would be a better choice. In that case, I invite you to try SEMrush for free here with your affiliate link. However, if you only want to track and measure web analytics data for your site, then Google Analytics would be a good option to use.
Does SEMrush integrate with Google Analytics?
Semrush integrates with Google Analytics and by linking your website’s Google Analytics account to Semrush, you can analyze all the data on your website from one central place. SEMrush also integrates with Google Search Console to pull in that data for analysis.
SEMrush vs Google Analytics Summary
I hope you liked this post on SEMrush vs Google Analytics.
As you found out, the main difference between Semrush and Google Analytics is that Semrush is an external service that tracks and measures the performance of another company’s website and Google Analytics is an internal service to study your own website. Is. However, both digital marketing tools can be beneficial when used together for SEO analysis.
If you’re trying to decide which service to use: Semrush or Google Analytics, it’s best to find out what the current goals are for your business. If gaining a broad range of digital marketing insights, competitor research and website analysis is of paramount importance, choose SEMrush. But if tracking and measuring visitor data is more important than just your website, then choose Google Analytics.
I am the creator of SEO Chatter. I have been fascinated by SEO since 2005 and have spent most of my waking hours consuming SEO content from top professionals in this field. My goal is to share the best tips and news about search engine optimization so that you can drive more traffic to your website.